Job Title: Research and Communication Assistant
Location: Normandy, France - partial teleworking possible
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Duration of Contract: 1 year
Recruitment Open To: Individuals that qualify for L’apprentissage Professionnelle, French or other nationalities. Please follow this link to assess your eligibility before submitting an application. https://www.alternance-professionnelle.fr/apprentissage-etudiants-etrangers/
Application Deadline: open until filled.
Ethonova, in partnership with Racing to Relate, is currently seeking a research and communications assistant to join their team on a dynamic research project with the Bristol University Veterinary School and INRAe, and assist in the development of Racing to Relate new R&D platform Thoroughbred Assisted™.
Racing To Relate (R2R) is a ground-breaking charity that has at its heart a deep respect for the Thoroughbred racehorse. R2R focuses on nurturing a long-term positive impact on Thoroughbred welfare and supporting the Thoroughbred/human partnership beyond racing. Racing To Relate focuses specifically on researching, facilitating and disseminating international industry-level support for Thoroughbreds within Equine Assisted Therapy (médiation équine). They are a recognised racing charity with endorsement from IFAR (International Forum for Aftercare of Racehorses), the British Horseracing Authority (BHA) and their official retraining charity, Retraining of Racehorses (RoR), Treo Eile, Ireland, Au-dela des Pistes (ADDP) France and Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance (TAA), USA. Their methodologies include veterinary-led research and specially commissioned international pilot schemes as well as analysis and reporting on the use of off-track Thoroughbreds within the wider Equine Assisted Therapy context.
They have recently pioneered a collaborative research PhD with the University of Bristol with the aim of developing an evidence-based standard for selecting and educating post-racing Thoroughbreds for EAT funded by the John Pearce Foundation.
Ethonova is an innovative scientific agency focusing on horses, their behavior and their relationship with humans. Ethonova has been developing since 2011, at the initiative of Claire Neveux, a research engineer in equine well-being who has chosen to develop specific expertise and then put it at the service of professionals in the equine sector, from product manufacturers to riders. Ethonova's mission is to support companies in the sector in their efforts to design products or use the horse for sporting or leisure purposes, while ensuring that the well-being of the horse is respected, with a view to optimizing performance and improving safety for all.
The project: This three-year PhD study represents a significant component of the long-term R&D aims Racing To Relate will pursue via their Thoroughbred Assisted™ collaborative knowledge platform. This platform will offer evidence-based guidance for optimal engagement, implementation and welfare outcomes for both horses and the people who work with them.
The position: Under the overall supervision of the CEO of Ethonova, Claire Neveux and in accordance with Racing to RElate team:
Data collection and research liaison:
- Collect and analyse current research and relevant research projects and foundations
- Collect and disseminate data from the pilot programs into a collaborative base that is accessible to the equine community in hopes that this data will serve as a future basis for best practices in equine assisted work.
- Creating a cohesive path of communication between all parties involved in current and future research projects.
- Act as a liaison for the research pilot programs and key stakeholders.
- Producing regular evidence based content (blog, social media, webinar) in English and French
- Regular updating and optimisation of websites and social media in English and French
- Assist during meetings, minute taking, manage diary for key events, production of monthly internal and external newsletters and reports.
- Assist with webinars, conferences (in person and via video) and other events.
Bachelor, Licence professionnelle
- Flair for research and data analysis, preferably on an international scale.
- Experience in outreach activities and partnership/ network building.
- Experience in internal/external communication, preferably in both English and French
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team framework.
- Ability to work independently and produce results without continual oversight.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize data from various sources into concise information packets.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to prepare and present information concisely in a multicultural environment.
- Familiarity with equine sector. Experience of thoroughbred / racing industry an advantage.
- Excellent computer skills. Knowledge of WordPress, as well as social media platforms and marketing techniques would be an asset.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English and French. Please be honest in your evaluation of your language skills as these will be tested throughout the interview process.
- Must be 18 or older to apply.
- Must have your own transportation.
- Must be eligible to work in France, specifically under the L’apprentissage Professionnelle program. Please follow the link for further details. https://www.alternance-professionnelle.fr/apprentissage-etudiants-etrangers/
Selection and Recruitment Process
- Applications will be reviewed and prioritized in the order they are received.
- The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice and may include tests and or assessments as well as competency based interviews.
- Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted and the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
- Please submit a current CV including at least two character references.
- Please submit a cover letter addressing your qualifications for the position and why you would be a beneficial addition to this research team. Please specifically address what interests/ excites you about working on a project involving equine assisted work.
On Behalf of Racing to Relate and Ethonova we thank you for your interest in this position and look forward to reviewing your applications.
Please submit all application materials to: